Saturday, August 3, 2013

Special Edition Impending Geomagnetic Storm HD

 
Something different and out of my comfort niche. Probably not to be repeated since I prefer just to do the science but it can be said I had given it a shot eh. Besides I have a mic that makes me sound like I have a lisp. I have no lisp or should I say lithp lol.
Once in a while would be ok but probably not all the time.

Best viewed with window expanded.


Magnetic fields in the sun's northern hemisphere have opened up, forming a coronal hole now having turned towards earth.
Coronal holes are places in the sun's atmosphere where the magnetic field bends back and allows the solar wind to escape. A stream of solar wind flowing from this particular coronal hole will reach Earth on August 3-4. Its impact could spark a minor geomagnetic storm, so high-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras.


A faint Coronal Mass Ejection was observed yesterday following a filament eruption in the southwest quadrant. According to the latest WSA-Enlil Solar Wind Prediction model, a glancing blow impact will be possible by August 5th. Another model released by the Goddard Space Flight Center shows the plasma cloud missing to the west. Updates will be provided when necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment